Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Vomiting your Clutch of Easter Peeps

Wren saying "Good Morning!"

My day started with a Pawbly question. It is a very good question that I answer very frequently, so I thought I would share it.
To learn more about Pawbly, and read other submitted questions and answers, please see http://www.pawbly.com/
"My 3 yr old Maine Coon threw up yesterday morning (looked like her entire breakfast) and last night I saw her drinking out of the dog's water bowl twice in several hours. Since I switched her to only wet food 2 years ago I have never seen her drink any water. She is playing and eating and nothing else seems off so far. It is possible I am being overly concerned but she has had health issues in the past.
I will continue to observe, but I am wondering if she now has diabetes."
Carole.
Here is my answer;
My little Wren. Always my morning companion.
She is my most credible resource for all things feline.

Hello Carole,
Thanks for the question.
I don't think that vomiting once is a cause for too much concern. Especially if it was undigested food in a large full meal amount.
Cats should have their food digested and moved out of the stomach about three hours after eating a meal. If you see vomited food after three hours, or if the vomiting continues, then I would recommend a visit to your vet's office for an examination.
Cats most commonly will vomit their undigested food shortly after eating if they have eaten too much too quickly. It is sort of the equivalent of "the eyes are bigger than the stomach scenario." They eat too much too fast and their stomach stretches too much too quickly and the brain says to the stomach "Whoa! that's too much too fast and forces the contents to expel."
Diabetes is most commonly seen in overweight indoor cats. They are usually free-feeding dry food only cats. A diabetic cat will most commonly is polyuric (urinates excessively) and polydipsic (drinks too much). Any cat suspected of having diabetes should have blood and urine screened for the disease and a treatment plan started immediately. Diabetes in some cats is treatable.
I always discuss the food being fed, the amount being fed, and the body condition score of a pet with my clients. Most critically with those clients who have overweight cats.
I wonder why you switched to wet food exclusively and I also wonder what food you switched to? I am actually a proponent of wet food for cats, but it has to be a good high quality food, and I don't recommend an abrupt transition.
These are always important things to discuss with your veterinarian.
And it is always much safer to be proactive, so don't hesitate to call your vet and ask for a check-up, that's what we are here for, and we are always happy to help a concerned mom.
If you need any assistance from us we are open 7 days a week, and we would be happy to see you and your Coon.
Sincerely,
Krista

This is not my cat, but it is not an infrequent occurrence at my house..

The kids are visiting this week for spring break. This is J.R. who is finishing off  his clutch of peeps.
He literally ate 18 of them for dinner last night.
He meets all of the criteria for g.i indiscretion, diabetes, and a very poor diet.
They love to come visit our house. You can see why!
But no vomiting yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment